Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Department of Social Sciences

Applying for public funded housing

A Wohnberechtigungsschein (WBS) is a document which states that you are eligible for public funded housing. Thus, with this paper you can apply for rent-controlled/rent-reduced housing all over Berlin.

However, for being eligible you need to fulfill certain requirements. Foremost, the following points are crucial:

  1. If you do not have a German or EU citizenship you need a residence permit that is valid for more than one year.
  2. A WBS is not eligible for shared apartments (WGs).
  3. For the application you need to be registered in Berlin already, so if you found temporary accommodation first while searching for permanent housing, this could be an opportunity for you.

The necessary documents can be found on the webpage of the Berlin Senat.

Unfortunately the information is only avilable in German, if you need assistance please contact us.